Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What I would do if I wont the lottery

I can't remember when I first heard of the concept of volunteer tourism but it's something that has held my interested since I was in high school. If I had the finances to take off from paid employment for a few months (or a year) and travel Latin America (where such programs are usually held) tracking turtle migration or doing community work, I would do so in a heart beat. However, I have found it more and more difficult to find such oppotunities (although when I search, I always do so only out of curiosity), so I was very happy to stumble on this website from the blog currently hosting Carnival of the Green. The website is for Volunteer Latin America, which matches volunteers with a huge list of volunteer opportunities in Latin America: everything from medical work, to conservation, to social work and building houses. And, of course, the ubiquitis ESL teaching opportunites.

Looking through all the projects I have a really hard time deciding which one I would do if I had the chance. Would I want to track the behaviour and migration patterns of bottle-nosed dolphins and other marine animals, or work with an indigenous community that makes traditional textiles for sale? Or run a theatre group for street kids? My brother would love one of the many monkey conservation projects. And there is a leather-back turtle conservation project that only requires a 1 week commitment. I suggested to Mr. Broccoli that we incorporate that into our honeymoon, since we'll be in Latin America anyway (we've decided to spend 2 weeks in Ecuador) but he told me I was crazy. Spoil sport!

No comments: