Monday, February 4, 2008

Crunch, crunch

This week, I'm eating as many crunchy foods as I can. Why would someone ever choose their meals based on crunchability above other qualities? Because I'm having all four of my wisdom teeth out this Thursday, at which point my diet will suddenly be limited to foods that can be drunk through a thick straw.

I have prepared for my upcoming crunch-less existence by buying jars of organic baby food in varieties that I expect I will actually like (like mango/pear and sweet potato) from Planet Organic when we were grocery shopping on the weekend. I also have some homemade applesauce I made and canned in the fall with my bridesmaid, K, which I have been saving specifically for this event.

I'm trying not to be worried about the procedure, but this is all very new to me. Unlike my little brother, who was in and out of the IWK as a child due to various mishaps and accidents, I have never been put under for surgery. In fact, the only time I have ever been cut into on purpose was a biopsy I had a few years ago, which, typically, left a scar 4 times larger than the mole that had been removed. I have to be completely asleep for this procedure because I have a high gage reflex (I swallowed a hard candy as a child and it remained lodged in my throat for 3 hours. I can confirm, for any interested, that this experience sucks) and only with me asleep will the doctor have any hope of reaching the back of my jaw with a scalple, let a lone to do it 4 times (yikes!). Mr. Broccoli will be there, of course, although he won't be in the room with me, but I still take strength from that. He'll also be around all day to take care of me (he's been through this before, so he has experience). If I'm not in too much pain, at least it'll be a few days off work to get some wedding planning done, or at least some knitting.

No comments: