Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wedding crazy

Wow it's been a long time since I've posted. My only excuse is that I've been busy with wedding stuff. I spent the August long weekend in Nova Scotia ostensibly to do wedding stuff but really just to relax. The main reason my parent's shelled out for the tickets is because I wanted to be at the tasting with the caterers (too long watching I Do, Lets Eat not to be excited about this). The food was excellent; so excellent, in fact, that I'm having a hard time choosing which dish I want. We're giving guests a choice between Chicken Parmesan and Salmon Pico de Gallo. I really liked them both, so I'm going to have to let Mr. Broccoli decide first. Then, I'll just take whichever one he doesn't and eat off his plate.

We've been busy making the invitations, which is looking more and more like the most certifiable idea we've had so far. The invitations are going to be mini hand-bound books, complete with pages and a "hardcover" binding made of card stock. Originally we were going to fold the card stock so as to give them little spines, but we've quickly abandoned that as impractical and unnecessarily time consuming. Since there are 3 events - the Nova Scotia wedding, the Toronto wedding, and the reception for our friends - there also has to be 3 distinct invitations, each with their own wording, guest list, and colour to help us keep track. They are also going to have reply cards that look like the old check-out cards in the backs of library books (pre-digital age; ask your parents). With any luck, we'll at least get the Nova Scotia invitations in the mail this weekend since that is the first event. Cross your fingers.

I'm also knitting my wedding bouquet, and the bouquets for my bridesmaids and the corsages and boutonnieres for the wedding party. That's somewhere around 40 knit flowers, with leaves and some with stems. I'm hoping to have time to make a lace binding for the 3 bouquets, but we'll see how that goes.

In the midst of all this DIYing, we've decided to outsource some things. I've found an artist on etsy to custom make our wedding topper; it will be the 2 of us sitting on a loveseat with books open on our laps and my cat on the armrest. We're having it done in her "Elegant" style that you see on the website. I've also ordered my tiara from etsy. I love this whole hand-made wedding thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved the invitations! I'm going to scan the 'library card' before I give it back, just 'cause it's so cool I don't wanna let it go. :P