Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Somebody please think of the bees!

I love bees, I always have. I love their shape, I love their colours, I love their fuzzy little bodies, I love that my name starts with "B", and I especially love their honey (I really love honey!). But I have come across some startling news. Apparently, the honey bee population in North America is dwindling! Yee gads! I first heard about this on Planet Green, the sister site of TreeHugger.com. Apparently Haagen Dazs is trying to bring awareness to this issue with a website and by promising to donate part of the proceeds from the sale of their "bee-dependent" ice cream flavours, including a brand new flavour called Vanilla Honey Bee. Yum. I hardly need an excuse to eat high quality ice cream, especially with spring (supposedly) upon us and summer round the bend.

You may be thinking, "why would I care if the bees all die? I don't like honey, all bees do is make honey and sting people". Well there, fussy britches. Don't write off bees so fast. Making honey is the most obvious thing that bees do for people, but it's far from the most important. Bees are pollinators, so along with birds and bats bees are responsible for fertilizing 1/3 of all of our agriculture. Every third bite you take of a peach this summer is thanks to the work of bees. So raise your spoons high and dig in for the bees!

No comments: